Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Married at First Sight S:3 E:14 - Decisions, Decisions, Decisions!




No one was surprised when Ashley and David parted ways in part 1 of the Married at First Sight Decision Day. For the other two couples, we were left with a cliffhanger that had viewers in knots for an entire week.

After what seemed like forever, we finally got to see the decisions from the other two couples. I have to admit I watched the second half of the episode with my jaw on the floor. Let's start from the beginning.

First of all, the experts who match these couples take it very seriously. Do they want them to succeed? There is no question at how invested they are. But they also realize the many variables that are out of their hands. 
I really hope that these couples stay together. I want them to work out. But if they don't, I want them all to have had some incredible personal growth that will help them greatly, whatever the future may hold for them. ~Dr. Logan Levkoff

Tres and Vanessa


Photo credit: Kinetic Content
We waited with baited breath to see Vanessa and Tres pledge to stay married. Whew! The look on the faces of Dr. Pepper and Greg Epstein said it all. Yes, there is work to do, but there is work in every single marriage. 

Tres and Vanessa have successfully shown how to meet, marry, and then build a foundation of trust with a stranger. Each week we saw them show great effort on how to communicate and work through tough issues, despite the challenges this social experiment presents. 

There were times when Vanessa needed space to gather her thoughts and reflect away from cameras, which is a normal and healthy reaction. Tres was kind, patient and encouraging with Vanessa. They both made mistakes, owned them and then made changes for the better. With the newly gained knowledge they obtained from the experts, I see no issue that can't be worked through if they stay committed to each other and the process. 

A key point is when Vanessa shared she learned marriage is a constant compromise. 
Now that we've decided to stay married, our energy and our focus can all be towards making the marriage a success. ~Vanessa Nelson

I wish them all my best as they learn how to maneuver through this maze we call "life" in the real world.

Neil and Sam

Photo credit: Kinetic Content
Sam is the epitome of how to learn and grow from this social experiment. Like Ashley, she started out completely closed off and disengaged. However, she took the advice of the experts to heart and applied it to herself and her relationship with Neil. We heard Sam say this experience has changed her life and made her who she is today. 
I have learned that I did not manage myself properly...I've learned how to communicate in an effective and not a destructive way. If not for you, I don't think I would be the person I am now, my best self. ~Sam Role
I have to be honest and say I was shocked by Neil's decision to divorce Sam. All three of the guys were committed this season, but Neil had an added advantage with the successful role model of his grandparents arranged marriage. 

Neil spoke about the phenomenal progress they made from where they started. He vowed throughout the whole process that he was committed, so to say I was blindsided as a viewer, is putting it lightly. As I ponder this, I realize that while Sam was an open book, Neil totally internalized his emotions. The depth of how he was feeling was not apparent to either her or us. 

Sam continued to be real with Neil during their parting conversation and despite the devastating blow of the previous day, she handled herself with dignity. They parted friends and hopefully we'll see that they remain friends.

Next week is the 6 month reunion show and we will see how far they've come as individuals and couples. 

No matter the outcome for the couples, I reflect on how far my husband and I have come from watching Married at First Sight. The day-to-day impact on our relationship has been life-changing and I will forever be thankful for that. 



Watch Season 3 of Married at First Sight on Tuesdays at 9/8c on FYI and A&E




No comments:

Post a Comment